Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
(Exodus 34:14).
This verse is one we have heard so many times it seems there is nothing left to say about it. Yet, I struggle with really not putting the people I love most on this earth in a position above God in my heart. He is jealous which makes me think that He will not hesitate to take away those things that we put above him or love more than Him. That thought puts the fear of God into me and makes me want to be certain that I am putting Him first about anyone or anything else. I think as women (or maybe it's just me) we have such a inherent desire to be loved by a man who we can look up to and when that time comes, it is easy to sit back, relax, and feel that "I've got everything I need." I don't consciously think that way, just have to be careful of the creeping up of it in my heart. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lord deeply and that love has grown, but for me, I have to be careful of putting anyone (especially my husband to be) in a place so elevated that I "fill" that roll that only God can have as my provider, savior, and king. Anyway, those are the thoughts in my heart and mind today.
1 comment:
I think about that a lot too. I think of how much time I spend with Robert, or thinking about him, or doing something for him and I compare that with how much time I spend with God, or thinking about God, or doing something for God. Usually the scales are way unbalanced. In my heart I know that putting God first will bring fruitfulness and blessings to my marriage, but in my humanity I don't always live up to that belief. I'm on the journey with ya girl!
Post a Comment