Monday, November 14, 2005

Trip to My Parent's Cabin

People always say that there is something to be said for getting back to nature and getting away from the routines and business of life, and I agree completely! It has been a long while since I have taken a whole weekend to do nothing but relax, meaning not answering the phone even once or looking at a television screen. I didn’t even wear a watch all weekend long! It was so refreshing.
I read a book, The Magician’s Nephew, from The Chronicles of Narnia series as did Mike. He read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! I know…amazing…a whole book in one day!
While up at my parent’s cabin just southeast of Eli, MN, we spent time outdoors (in about 2 inches of snow) and eating pretty much constantly inside the cabin. Mom likes to make sure we are all very well fed.
On Saturday, we drove through Silver Bay and Two Harbors, stopping at Split Rock Lighthouse to look around and take pictures. We also went to Palisade Head to check out the cliffs that overlook Lake Superior. It was cold and windy but so majestic to view. Mike captured the huge waves crashing up over the side of the rock shoreline on my camera and took pictures of the falls of Gooseberry, but I highly recommend taking the trek in person just for the fresh, clean air and the revitalizing experience of being quiet and enjoying the natural surroundings. You can’t help but see God’s beauty and might when in His creation. It is breathtaking!

2 comments:

Mrs. Hawk said...

JESSICA - I MISS YOU.

adventuregrl said...

I can't agree more with the sentiment of getting away from it all to rest! Reading this post made me want to head off to the cabin for a weekend right now! :o) It is important...cool that you and Mike got to go together...and WAY cool about the book in one day! :o)